New Jersey Family Law & Divorce Blog

Can You Still Get Divorced with an Uncooperative Spouse?


You may be wondering what happens if you want a divorce, but your spouse refuses to accept that the marriage is over and essentially disappears off the grid when it comes to engaging in the process. What happens if your spouse refuses to accept service of the divorce complaint? What happens if your spouse refuses to address any of the divorce issues with you or your attorney? What if your spouse refuses to get an attorney? These are all questions that are sure to arise if your spouse takes a stonewall approach to make your path of divorce as difficult as possible. 

New Jersey is a no-fault state.  This means that if you meet the jurisdictional requirements for filing a divorce in this state and allege a cause of action in your Complaint for irreconcilable differences (and any other grounds), the divorce matter will proceed.  Your spouse then has the choice to cooperate or not, but either way you will still ultimately be able to be divorced if you follow the necessary steps.

Once a complaint for divorce is filed against your spouse, they will have 35 days to respond to it. If your spouse does not file any kind of responsive pleading (usually an answer and/or counterclaim) after 35 days, a default judgment can be requested within 60 days of the last day they had to respond. 

On a county-by-county basis there are different rules on whether you will need to go to court if your spouse does not respond. If you do have to attend a court proceeding, it will likely be for a default hearing. A default hearing is where the judge will make certain determinations about your divorce matter on issues such as: (1) alimony; (2) child support; (3) child custody; (4) equitable distribution of marital property; and any other relief that may have been requested in your complaint for divorce. 

Judges are often cautious before granting a default divorce. In the interests of justice, the Court wants to ensure that both spouses have had a fair chance to be heard. Courts may even extend or delay proceedings when the spouse who has not responded at all thus far, comes to court with an explanation of why there has been no response and they seek to “cure” the default and be involved in the matter.  A Court will generally permit the defaulting party to get into the case and be heard, but usually requires counsel fees to be paid to the non-defaulting spouse. 

The first step to dealing with these issues is hiring an experience divorce attorney to assist you in navigating the process.  Monmouth County Divorce Attorneys at the Law Office of Sylvia Costantino are here to help.  They are experienced and dedicated to ensuring that the divorce process goes as smoothly as possible.  


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get Started With a Free Case Evaluation
A Team Dedicated to Compassion and Honesty, Ready to Serve You
The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. This website is designed to provide general information only, and does not represent the opinions of The Law Offices of Sylvia Costantino, LLC attorneys. The information is not guaranteed to be correct, complete or up to date with recent legal developments, verdicts or settlements. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your specific facts/circumstances/case. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and emails, but note that contacting us alone does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like advice regarding your individual situation, you should contact The Law Offices of Sylvia Costantino, LLC. to schedule a consultation to obtain legal advice. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.